Gain antenna on RV?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Gain antenna on RV?
From: palooka@pyrotechnics.com (Joe Pontek, K8JP)
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 09:31:45 -0500 (EST)
Hi Dave,

At 03:25 PM 11/16/96 -0800, Dave Earnest wrote:
>Anyone got a real slick idea on how to mount a "gain" antenna on an RV?
>
>I live full-time in a 40-ft 5th wheel.  I presently am using an R7,
>which is fine for playing around.  But, alas, you can't work them, if
>you can't hear them ( no Duh? )
>
>I was thinking of finding an hydraulic mast and a 2 el tribander.

>Dave K7JJ/6 (ex-W7KJJ)

Not knowing how much power you are running, the antennas available are
plenty.  I used
on my 23 foot motorhome, both a 30 foot tower (Rohn 25G) and  a 30 foot push
up mast.
Both were mounted to my ladder and laid up on the top in a saddle I made.
The tower
was the sturdiest, but wouldn't travel well over too long of a distance. The
mast did very
well, and I guyed it with folded dipoles on 40 & 80 meters. Regular dipoles
could be used
and would give you more strength.  I have had a 2 band 1015DB, a TH2MKIII, a
TA33 and
a TA33Jr up there with an AR22 and a TR44(?) rotator. All did well.  Of
course, if you don't
have a ladder, this may not work that well.  In the older antenna handbook,
there was article
about travel trailer antenna mounting that is similar. You might want to
look into that, also.

73, K8Joe"Palooka"
K8JP, K8JP/VA2, VP5/K8JP, VP5JP, ex-K8HKM, ex-KN8HKM
Secretary, NIDXA
[\] NAUI Diver
palooka@pyrotechnics.com
snail mail: