Power line - noise?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Power line - noise?
From: janalme@sn.no (Jan Almedal)
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 22:58:32 +0100
Hi everbody.

I have, for a while, been looking for a new QTH. Now I might have found it,
but there is one concern:

About 400 feet from the property there is a power line (maybe 16kV). The QTH
is on a hill, causing the power lines to be almost the same altitude as the
house. This means that a tower of 60 ft would make the antennas about 400 ft
from, and 60 feet ABOVE the power lines.

Anyone with experience on beeing so close to a power line? What noise level
can I expect? Are any band more exposed to this noise than other? I plan on
monobanders for 10 to 40 meter, and wires for 80/160 meter.

The lines are in South/South-West direction; can I expect other directions
to be influenced?

Will radiation angels be influenced?

I don't have too much experience in this field, so all comments will be
appreciated!

73 de
Jan / LA9HW

- - -