Newbie Q's, VA3RFZ

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Newbie Q's, VA3RFZ
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 14:07:32 -0500

>Just subscribed, and I have a couple of questions:
>
>1 - I just got a Heavy Duty TV tower (confusing, but true) and I have 5
>sections, 10 feet each.  How often should I have it guyed?

Hi, Rich --

   Wecome to TowerTalk.

   Regarding your HDTV tower, I would use an equivalent such as Rohn 20G or
25G.  I'm assuming that this is a guyed tower and not a self-supporting one
with tapered sections.  In any case, my first recommendation is to get the
Rohn catalog; it's a treasure of tower building specifications, hardware,
etc.  TOWER TECH has them for $5.00.

    Also, check with your local building department to see what the wind
speed spec for your area is.  In the States, each county has a wind speed
rating.  Then build your installation around that criteria.  Again, the Rohn
book is very helpful in this regard.

>2 - I want to put a 440, 2 meter, and 3 element 6 meter Yagi on it
>(horizontal), and I need a rotor and controller for it.  What should I
>be looking for, where could I find the rotor and control (used or new),
>and how should I stack these dissimilar arrays?

    I have just run a 3-part series on rotators in my "Up The Tower" column
in CQ Contest magazine.  For your lightweight antenna load, just about
anything will work.  CATS (419-352-4465 - www.rotordoc.com) or Norm's Rotor
Service (301-874-5885- www.tiac.net/users/shiacawn/rotors/) both have used
but rebuilt and guaranteed rotators.

    My stacking suggestion is to put the smallest on top and the biggest on
the bottom.  Find a decent mast that will give you a couple of feet
separation between antennas.  Again, you  need to know the windspeed in order
to get a reliable mast.

>3 - Is this mailing list active?

    As far as I know.  Lots of contest activity lately and not much building
going on (winter and all) but interesting threads nonetheless.  As you can
imagine, most of these topics have been covered before but there is NO dumb
question especially when it comes to tower and antenna system reliability and
safety so feel free to solicit information.

73,  Steve   K7LXC