Feeding Stacked TH-6s

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Feeding Stacked TH-6s
From: seay@alaska.net (Jan & Del Seay)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 16:08:03 -0900 (AKST)
Hi Jeff: There has been quite a bit of talk on the various reflectors about
using current baluns made with ferrite beads. A lot of guys don't like
them, too lossy. I've been using them for years, with far better luck than
other types. I use ferrite sleeves available from Amidon Associates.
They come in 2 sizes, 1/4" ID and 1/2" ID. Obviously, the 1/4" is for RG-58
and the 1/2" for RG-8. I use six for a 20 meter antenna, 4 for higher
frequencies.
Now - the reason for my answer. A lot of guys are using RG-213 on HF antennas.
It is good coax, but a poor fit for PL-259 connectors. It has a slightly
smaller outer conductor (shield) and cannot be properly mated to PL-259
connectors without some care and feeding. And - even then, you'll have an
impedance hump. (Probably not important below 30 mHz) Good quality RG-8AU
is a far better choice. RG-214 even better. Both of these match the connectors
fine. If you do use RG-213, tin the shield at the connector very heavily,
and during the shield soldering procedure, take a lot of care to assure that
a good bond is made between the shield and the connector body. Otherwise, you'll
be repairing or replacing shortly.
Have fun with the stacking project.  73  de KL7HF