Rohn HDBX-48

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Rohn HDBX-48
From: Bill_H._Jackson@notes.up.com (Bill H. Jackson)
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 08:54:30 -0500
Gene,

I used a HDBX48 with a 8 ft. mast, KT-34A  4el tribander and 11 element 2m
yagi above that for many years on the very windy high plains of western
Nebraska with no problems.  However, I junked both the stock rotor plate and
top bearing plate even before I put the tower up.  They were extremely light
weight made out of bent sheet metal.  I thought the bent taps they used to
attach to the tower would be a source of failure with prolonged flexing.  I
replaced both the bearing plate and rotor plate with fabricated 1/8" steel
plates with heavy duty "L" brackets made at the local machine shop by a rather
talented welder.  He used the existing plates as templates for the new ones
and they fit perfectly.

I never had any problems with any rivits popping out.

73 de Bill