ROHN 25G QUIERY

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: ROHN 25G QUIERY
From: n4zr@ix.netcom.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 10:33:52 -0800
At 11:34 AM 12/13/96 -0500, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
> The
>best thing you can do to make it more stable (not safer, that doesn't change)
>while it's being climbed is to install torque arms at each set of guys.
> These are the ones that have the foot long metal bar attached to them.

Steve -- I have the torque bars on the top two guy locations of my 100' 25G,
and I can't see that they do any good at all.  One of the guys on the
reflector (sorry, I can't recall right now who it was), told me he achieves
much better torque stiffness by attaching a horizontal 6 foot piece of angle
iron to his tower just below the top, and running a guy from each end of it
to a single guy point, in lieu of the top guy on that side.  It's easy to
see how that would be much more effective, just from the geometry of the thing.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com
West (bigawd) Virginia