Hy gain antenna query.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Hy gain antenna query.
From: WX0B-JTERLESKI@worldnet.att.net (Jay Terleski)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 08:09:53 -0600
Bill Fisher KM9P wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, C. Logan Dietz (KE5FI) wrote:
>
> > Melvin G. Brafford wrote:
> > >
> > > Next week I hope to get my first 105BA 5 element 10 meter beam up to 92'
> > > on
> > > my WELL GUYED rohn 25G. My plan is to put another 105BA at the 62' level
> > > and a third one at 32'. The one on top will be rotatible , but the other
> > > two will have to be fixed for now. I plan to use a Dunestar stacking box
> > > feed the three ants, and run various combinations of stacking. The land
> > > where this tower is sitting slopes steeply down to the NE and E, Making
> > > the
> > > top ant seem about 150', so with this in mind I had planned to fix ant
> > > 2..the one at 62' at 90
>
> 1.  Why monkey with a Dunestar box?  Coax is cheap man.  And a whole lot
> more reliable.
>
> 2.  You don't need 3 different stacking positions.  You need all or top
> only.  Easily done with coax.
>
> 3.  You might want to model your situation with TA.  On my hilltop the
> program says as low as 22' is pretty darn good on 10M.  Don't be surprised
> if at the top of the cycle every Wooly Buger Five is beating you with
> their C3's at 30'.
>
> 73
>
> Bill
>
> --
> Problems:                 K7LXC@contesting.com

I disagree with Bill on only needing the top or the full stack.

10m is a funny band.  There are times when the lower beam will be much
better than the top or full stack.  And probably many times when the
middle and lower will be usefeul (SS) for instance beaming in two
directions (with 1 amp)

I don't know where Melvin lives.  Maybe he can take advatage of double
beaming.  I would suggest you look at building a side mount for at least
the lower one to make it turnable from SA, to JA.  You can do it for
about $30.00 worth of waterpipe.

As far as the Stackmatch goes, Its alot of fun to see what angles are
working.  Go for it  HI.

Others may have other good ideas, as well.  But this reminds me of when
I was trying to figure out where to put my 3 10 and 15 monos on the new
tower.  A good friend of mine pointed out to me that I was putting the
10s way to high.  1 was over the top 15.  I was thinking of wind
feet.  I know see he was right.  He went into a story about N5AU and why
you don't want to be too high on 10.

I also remember working the 10m test with Bob W7GG (ai7b) in 89,  He had
two 180 foot towers on top of a very tall ridge in OR at his old QTH.
The stacks were beautiful, he also had a tribander on a pushup pole
maybe 20 feet tall about 600 ft away for a mult antenna.  Guess what
happened.  Yup, the stacks were too high.  We ended up using the mult
antenna to run on.

This may be a good thread to get started.  How high for 10m, and what
works for LP, and different hours of the day.

Jay, WX0B
Disclaimer:
I have a strong affiliation with Dunestar Systems!