Guy Wire Tension

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Guy Wire Tension
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 17:37:19 -0800 (PST)
Here I am again with more questions and not very good answers.  Asking
questions seems to be my strong point.

I don't recall seeing anywhere in an article of authority where it says the
horizontal components of steep guys must (or should) equal the horizontal
components of shallow guys on a tower.  So before you go to all the trouble
to figure out how much more tension you have to put on steep guys than on
shallow guys to make them horizonally equal, maybe we should determine
whether or not we really ought to do that . . . huh?

I have read that guys should be tensioned to 10% of their ultimate breaking
strength and I have seen towers specified to have larger guys wire on the
top set, but not always.

Here is a hypothetical situation:  Suppose you use half inch guys on the top
of 25G.  Suppose the half inch guys have a breaking strength of 30,000
pounds.  I doubt that you should tension them to 3,000 pounds!!  So there
are some unwritten rules about this and people tend to try to fill in the
blanks with "common sense".  Watch it!!  Good common sense isn't nearly
common enough in instances like this.  I would probably tighten the half
inch cable to the tension specified for the specified cable (which is
probably 3/16 inch cable).  Even then, I would really probably ask a
structural engineer what he would do.  My "common sense" could get me into
deep trouble.  It has a few times in the past.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com