[Top] [All Lists]

guying question

To: <>
Subject: guying question
From: (
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 09:44:09 -0500
In a message dated 96-12-20 08:25:05 EST, you write:

>Give me ur honest opinion of preformed grips for 3/16th EHS vs. "stranvises"
>for connnectors.  
Hi, George --

     I think by stranvise you are referring to the traditional U-bolt and
saddle cable clamps (i.e. Crosby clips, etc.).  Nobody I know uses cable
clamps anymore, especially on EHS.  Even 3/16 EHS is hard, stiff and
difficult to bend, handle, cut, etc.  Preformed grips make the termination
job into a piece of cake -- and you don't have to come back and retighten
them.  They're slightly more expensive than cable clamps but much faster to
install. TOWER TECH handles the 3/16 and 1/4 inch sizes. 

>Secondly, please describe how one goes abt transforming from Phillystan to
>EHS easily.
       What I would do is put a temporary rope guy on (use a truckers hitch
to get it nice and tight), loosen up the guys at the level of interest, then
remove and replace one at a time.  The temporary guy would be moved each time
to replace the guy being removed.  
     The Phillystran guy should have steel guy wire for the last 15 feet or
so to the anchor.  It is useful to prevent potential damage due to vandalism
or fire.  Also, it makes it more convenient to use the handy Loos guy wire
tensioner to get the proper amount of tension on the guy wires.  The Loos is
one of the most valuable tower items around.  It'll measure 3/16 and 1/4 inch
guys in about 10 seconds and is only $39.00 from TOWER TECH.  Since 99% of
hams don't know what their guy wire tension is, you'd be in a very
well-informed minority.

73,  Steve  K7LXC

    TOWER TECH -- professional tower supplies and services for amateurs

    Claimer -- My opinions are those of my employer.

FAQ on WWW:     
Administrative requests:
Sponsored by Akorn Access, Inc & KM9P

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • guying question, <=