Long mast / crankup tower

To: <>
Subject: Long mast / crankup tower
From: (Big Don)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 08:07:09 -0800 (PST)
On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Leikhim, Joe wrote:

> [...]
> Get some aircraft cable or steel rope. Attach it to the bottom of the top
> section. If the tower jams, connect the steel rope to a cable grip and a
> "come-along."  This will give you a positive pull down of your tower.
> I attach the come-along to a dacron or manila rope for a little bit of
> elasticity. I find this is helpful in pulling down a crank up.

Recognize you need to be very careful with anything extra you attach to
a crankup (rotor wire, coax, pull-down cables, extraneous bracketry...).
Any of these items has the potential to foul the tower during cranking if
something gets loose, mal-adjusted, etc.  The thing you add (pull-down
cable flopping around?) could be the thing that ends up causing your
jamming problem...

Been there, done that...

Big Don

Sponsored by Akorn Access, Inc & KM9P