Tower Ratings - Stupid Question

To: <>
Subject: Tower Ratings - Stupid Question
From: (Alfred J. Frugoli)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 19:04:04 +0000
> I hear people putting guy wires on self-support or crank-ups,
> thinking they are improving wind load etc...
> Is this not a -bad thing-?

Just had a local amateur here have his "guyed self suporting" tower com
down.  The recent heavy wet snow we had brought down a large (12+"
diameter) branch that landed on one of his guy wires.  The tower began
to retract into itself, and then bent at the top of the bottom section
at a 45 degree angle directly over the top of his house.  His tower was
not overloaded, he just didn't want to have to crank it down in
icing/high wind conditions.

Once again, a potentially deadly situation avoided by luck.

Al, KE1FO, ex. KE6BER or
Check out my web page, for summaries
from the contest reflector and a growing list of amateur radio links.

Sponsored by Akorn Access, Inc & KM9P