YO Design Parameters for W3LPL 15M 6L Yagi

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: YO Design Parameters for W3LPL 15M 6L Yagi
From: tel1gah@is.ups.com (tel1gah@is.ups.com)
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 96 11:22:33 PST
Chuck:  You raise some valuable design tradeoff questions.  In VHF/UHF
contesting circles, a narrow beamwidth, max. gain antenna with forward and rear
sidelobs minimized to reduce noise pickup often results in missed Q's because
you can't hear a calling station.  Most of these design parameters are
tradeoffs dependant on your location: if you have high noise sources then focus
on max. gain, minimum sidelobs, and high F/B ratios. This is particularily true
for EME operators.  If you are a zealous 6m op, in a contesting situation, gain
could be traded for wider beamwidths or enhanced sidelobs for max. F/B to keep
Q rate higher and minimize rotor action.

I would think these same design tradeoffs should be applied for the high HF
bands, particularily 10M.

On 10M when pointed to Europe, I've got a noise source to the rear.
Accordingly, my 10M designs emphazize max. F/B ratios at the expense of some
forward gain.  This is a design tradeoff dependant on my location.  The
important question is for the designer to analyze the design requirements (e.g.
contesting, only 1 antenna on that band, multiplier densities, etc) balanced
against your location constraints and operating requirements

Happy New Year,

Guy Hamblen, N7UN/2 (ex AA7QZ)