Cold Temps & Guys

To: <>
Subject: Cold Temps & Guys
From: (
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 20:29:29 -0500

>Now for another "dumb question", what about the Philystran type of guying
>material.  Any data on contraction or expansion?  Also, given the variation
>in tension with the temperature what should I do?  Should the guys be
>retensioned based on a change if temperature?  If yes, how big a change in
>temp before doing this?  I for one don't relish the though of retensioning
>the guys on two 120+ foot towers when it is 10 below.
Larry --

     I've been going through my Phillystran literature and what I've been
able to find is the "effect of temperature on yarn tensile strength" and
"long-term creep" but no elongation vs. temperature data.  Next time I talk
to Ken Knight, I'll ask him.

      BTW, both of the aforementioned charts show 1) the benefits of
Phillystran/Kevlar over other synthetic materials and 2) the slow and small
elongation of tensioned Phillystran; at 10% tensile load, the elongation
in/in (x 10 -3) over a couple of years changes is practically constant.  I
don't know what the immediate elongation when tensioned is.

       It's probably too much to ask for Phillystran to be online and
subscribed to TowerTalk.  Just FYI, Hy-Gain and Rohn are just 2 companies
that have employees that are subscribers.

73,  Steve  K7LXC

Sponsored by Akorn Access, Inc & KM9P