Shocking Experience

To: <>
Subject: Shocking Experience
From: (Floyd Soo, W8RO)
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 12:13:14 -0800
I too have had some shocking experiences.  It does not take an antenna
high in the air to produce high enough voltages to cause "exciting
experiences"!  In a past QTH, I ran a 75M dipole that was 25' at the
feedpoint and 6' at the ends.  On more than one occasion, I heard
"snap...snap...snap" coming from my ungrounded antenna switch.  As much
as I don't like to admit it, I've had a couple of good jolts from that
antenna! I was fooling around with the feedline in the shack and
accidently touched the PL-259!  This was on a clear, but breezy day!  I
could draw a 1/2" arc with that plug when I disconnected it with an
approaching storm front!  Needless to say, I didn't allow the fronts to
get within 15-20 mi before I disconnected my antennas after that!

Happy New Year!
Floyd Soo, W8RO
President, HI-RES Communications, Inc.
Net Manager and Board Member, Collins Collectors Association
QRP-L #392

Sponsored by Akorn Access, Inc & KM9P