Tuning verticals

To: <>
Subject: Tuning verticals
From: (Guy Hamblen)
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 97 11:56:12 PST

In the latest ARRL Antenna Compendium V, there are several articles for 80
meter verticals. In all humbleness, I wrote an article that would answer most
if not all your questions concerning the design, construction, installation and
a matching network for an aluminum tubing vertical for the SSB and CW portions
of the band.  That aluminum tubing antenna was in place for two winters and
worked great; I replaced it this summer with a dual band 80-160M trapped 87'
vertical using aluminum tubing in order to get on the Topband.

At any rate, a design and installation procedure exists for what you ask.
If you have particular questions, please feel free to email direct.

Guy Hamblen, N7UN/2 (ex AA7QZ/2)

On Mon, 30 Dec 1996 20:38:46 -0500 wrote:
>I am in final stages of putting together 1/4 wave vertical for 80M, with
>about 70 on-ground radials. The radiator will consist of aluminum
>tubing, tapering from 2-3/8" to 1-1/4" o.d.
>Can I lay the vertical on a pair of sawhorses and employ a dip
>oscillator to find the resonant length? Or, how about standing it up and
>tieing it off about 2 feet away from my tower so I can climb up and trim
>off the top end (would not be using any radials for this procedure), or
>would the proximity of the tower cause a shift in the resonant
>frequency. Will adding the radials later cause it to resonate on a
>different frequency? Would prefer to do the trimming at the top end, as
>I will have the feedpoint hardware, etc already in place at the base.
>What say, antenna gurus?
>Thanks in advance for your input.
>Tom K0SN
>Porterfield, Wi.