Tower rebar bonding

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Tower rebar bonding
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 15:24:55 -0500

>I'm no expert, but I've been told, and I've noted all commerical buildings
>and the like using rebar are never welded - simply wire twisted and poured
>over.

     That's normally true when installing structural reinforcing bar but in
this instance the subject is an Ufer ground that uses the concrete and rebar
as part of the ground system.  In this case the metal in the concrete has to
be electrically bonded to prevent arcing.  This lack of bonding coupled with
a lightning strike is the gensis of the folklore that a lightning strike will
cause the concrete to explode.

    For simple structural rebar applications, wire twists are the norm.

73,  Steve  K7LXC