I'd like a bit of advice on troubleshooting what appears to be a HamIV
I have a 5 year old Ham IV that rotated my 4 element Gem Quad
flawlessly. I recently
added a Mosley rotatable dipole (12 pounds, not much additional torque
needed I think) and things went fine for a while.
Lately the rotor has been getting more and more difficult to get
started. It's at a point where I have to do something.
The symptoms are:
1) It "sticks" at random spots on the compass. Sometimes can be unstuck
by repeated attempts.
2) The brake is fully retracting. I've gone out and listened to its
repeated snap's while XYL operates it.
3) The resistance checks indicate the same readings as when it was first
4) The rotor is putting out about 26 volts AC at the rotor when the CW
or CCW key is pressed.
5) Rotor was refurbished by CATS 4 months ago.
I can think of three things:
1) Starting capacitor is bad (although ohmmeter check indicates OK)
2) Gears stripped inside rotor
3) Binding somewhere. Thrust bearing? (although visually everything
looks fine, thrust bearing is 3 months old and I can see things seeming
normal when wind twists array)
Any advice before I lower the mess?
Vance Net Inc
End Of Message
FAQ on WWW: http://www.contesting.com/towertalkfaq.html
Administrative requests: towertalk-REQUEST@contesting.com
Sponsored by Akorn Access, Inc & KM9P