To: <>
From: (n4si)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 15:41:07 +0000
> Lately the rotor has been getting more and more difficult to get
> started.  It's at a point where I have to do something.
> The symptoms are:
> 1) It "sticks" at random spots on the compass.  Sometimes can be unstuck
> by repeated attempts.
> 2) The brake is fully retracting.  I've gone out and listened to its
> repeated snap's while XYL operates it.
> 3) The resistance checks indicate the same readings as when it was first
> installed.
> 4) The rotor is putting out about 26 volts AC at the rotor when the CW
> or CCW key is pressed.
> 5) Rotor was refurbished by CATS  4 months ago.
> I can think of three things:
> 1) Starting capacitor is bad (although ohmmeter check indicates OK)
> 2) Gears stripped inside rotor
> 3) Binding somewhere.  Thrust bearing?  (although visually everything
> looks fine, thrust bearing is 3 months old  and I can see things seeming
> normal when wind twists array)
> Any advice before I lower the mess?
> Thanks.
> Brian/K3KO Vance Net Inc

My guess is capacitor. It's in the control box, which is why it
probably wouldn't have been attended to by Craig (new name: "Rotor
Doctor"; see his home page: ).

A very popular fix for long cable runs, by the way, is to install
the capacitor at the rotor.

Stripped or broken gear ring is a possibility, particularly if you
didn't ask Craig to install his S/S replacement; cheap upgrade.

I'm not a rotor person, so these are just WAG's.

Check back with Craig for ideas if you don't get anything here. He's
a good guy and should be able to offer some thoughts.

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE
         (c) 5 November, 1996

Sponsored by Akorn Access, Inc & KM9P