Feedline and control line protection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Feedline and control line protection
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 13:44:18 EST
From:
Fred Hopengarten, K1VR
Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105 * 617/259-0088
e-mail:  k1vr@juno.com
Big antennas, high in the sky, are better than small ones, low.

On Mon, 6 Jan 1997 08:43:10 -0600 w5hvv@aeneas.net (Rod Fitz-Randolph)
writes:

>This allows me to disconnect the cables from the boxes within
>seconds (easy slip in - slip out connectors) anytime I am leaving
>the operating position or whenever I hear distant rumbles of
>thunder heralding an approaching storm.
>
>The coax is buried in the yard for 250 feet from the hamshack to
>the tower base, providing a relatively low impedance/resistance
>path to ground for lightning.
>
>Not perfect, but cheap and effective.

K1VR adds:

I too use connectors at the rotators and buried coax (all other lines are
also buried).  So add another vote for these techniques.