HD rotators

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: HD rotators
From: jay@dunestar.com (Jay Terleski)
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 1997 14:11:42 -0600

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date:    1/6/97 3:57 PM
>
>         Steve,
>           My rotating tower system uses an HDR 300 rotator operating
>         at half-speed through a chain drive. My particular "war
>         stories" are that it would not hold the drive shaft provided
>         by RTS, which is 2-inch in diameter. I had to get a collar
>         welded on to increase the diameter to 3 inches to solve this
>         particular problem. My other difficulty has been with the
>         small screws that attach it to a mounting plate. Wind-induced
>         vibration of some of the antenna elements couples into the
>         tower and has twice caused these bolts to unscrew leaving the
>         rotator hanging by its control cable! (The reason it happened
>         twice is because I did not understand the cause the first
>         time around!) When it happened the first time, the fiberboard
>         cover was all smashed as well as the internal electronics. I
>         had an aluminum box fabricated to replace the fiberboard one.
>         This problem seems to have been solved by "Loctiting" the
>         bolts into their sockets! Other problems include the control
>         cable fouling the brake pall when first installed (resulting
>         in the coax loop being shredded and the readout pot being
>         smashed), and having to make harder keys. I am curious,
>         however, to hear if you ever built someone a propitch rotator
>         for this application? John N3HBX.

I have a HDR300 turning my RTS rotating tower and its worked fine for 4
or 5 years now.  I don't think anyone has more antennas on theirs than
me, John.  But I believe what you say.  Just check out www.dunestar.com
to see the mess of aluminum I had on mine.

Anyway the shaft did turn in my hdr300 when I originally put it up.
Dick K5iu recommended I go to grade 8 bolts vs the HDR300 supplied ones.

Bingo no more problems.  I think if it ever did turn again it would
probably save the rotor from destruction.  So I want that.

I wonder if you must have some very unbalanced loads from your antennas.
I tried to keep mine in the exact centers of the booms to reduce torque.

I have not had a problem with the bolts backing out of the rotor plate
either.  Dick supplied mine with huge bolts and split washers.  I have
had the chain loosen up over the years.  But it was easy to retighten by
moveing everything out in the slots provided for this purpose.

I think the HDR300 is fine for the RTS system.  I did have CATS do a
total rebuild on my HDR300 before I put it into service.  Well worth the
money to get the new gear assy. and the gold wx proof plug.

Just my $.02

Jay, WX0B