dsp software

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: dsp software
From: clewis@ro.com (Chuck Lewis, N4NM)
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 02:21:21 +0000
Hi Ken,
I have had K6STI's DSP for several months; it is terrific, and well
worth the price. I use mine with a TS850, and find that it's a
significant improvement even with all the 850's bells and whistles
brought to bear on a tough signal.  In comparison, I tried the MFJ DSP
box over a weekend, and passed it up as not providing enough improvement
to warrant the price. The K6STI DSP, however is a different story. It
is, to my ears, well worth even what the MFJ would have cost. Just make
sure you have a real Creative Labs Soundblaster, not a clone; read the
documentation thoroughly and do exactly what Brian says. Then play
around with the various combinations of filters, NR algorithms and AGC
settings. What is also impressive is the rate with which he sends
upgrades: I just got a new DSP upgrade last nite, and a RITTY upgrade
tonite. That makes about three of each since November. You'll be reading
your e-mail and all of a sudden there's a new version, along with
revised docs and a description of the changes and their rationale. Brian
is a true signal processing Guru, obviously uses his own stuff, and is
dedicated to the concept of Continuous Improvement (there, I said it!).
No kidding, this is clean, effective, and safe, and has a wonderful user
interface. Go get it! Same is true for RITTY.
(Thanks to K7LXC for encouraging personal observations on this
reflector)

73,
Chuck, N4NM