HAM-type rotors and connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: HAM-type rotors and connectors
From: WF3H@enter.net (bob)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 03:10:01 -0100
n4si wrote:

> As long as we're on the subject of HAM (CDE) style rotors, let me
> expound on the greatest improvement since their invention: C.A.T.S.'s
> Quick Disconnect modification. For the paltry sum of $15 (or so) you
> get a QD weatherproof connector assembly with 8 sets of gold pins and
> sockets.

actually i have to disagree; i had this put on my rotator several yrs
ago and im very sorry i did. its a mechanical weak point since the point
where the quick disconnect joins the rotator is VERY fragile and tends
to wear quickly in the wind, or with stress on the cable. since you only
replace rotators every few yrs, go with some other type of arrangement.
this is a weakness than CAN cause you to replace the rotator