Rotator fit

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Rotator fit
From: n4si@techinter.com (n4si)
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 06:09:25 +0000

>       Are you saying that you're currently using a T2X in 25G?  I didn't
> think it would work.  Did you cut some tower diagonals to get it to fit?

I missed the original post on this, but there is some interesting
field info to share.

I may have mentioned once before that Rohn's AG2 top section (the
triangular peak section most of us are familiar with) has an open bay
(no diagonals) in the top on 25 but not on 20; one of the ways you
can tell them apart.

The Tailtwister will easily fit in that open bay.

In my installation, I installed my rotator at the bottom of the top
section (previously discussed). The original rotator was a HAM xx.
An interesting phenomenon has always occurred (not just on mine,
I've done lots of towers); maybe it's just me. The rotator will go
inside the tower through the bracing, but there is only one way it
will do so, and it always takes me 5 minutes of wrestling to do it.
Coming out is the same exercise!

I decided I had taken my rotator out enough times to not enjoy that
any more, so I sawed out the diagonal on one side of the tower at that
level (base of top section). I did some intuitive thinking and
reasoned that between the guying and where the stress were placed on
that tower, that it should be safe.

Later, I upgraded to a T2X, which obviously slid in like a glove, but
the six bosses on the casting where they bolt together contacted the
remaining braces. So I took a small pry bar and bent them away from
the housing, and it has worked beautifully for the 15 years since.

Incidentally, my 68' tower is bracketed at 20', guyed at 40 and 68'.
Engineering? I don't know. But the Plainfield tornado, and other
associated evil forces have not touched it.

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE
         (c) 5 November, 1996