Two weeks ago I sent a request on few relevant reflectors asking for
opinions on Hy-Gain TH-11DX beam. Till now I received 84 answers from
( 74 ), Europe ( 4 ) Asia ( 4 ) and Africa (2).
I was quite surprised about the very favorable opinions from the
people who taked the time to answer. Actually, 82 were very satisfied
with the antenna and
warmly recommended to buy one.
This is a brief summary of the answers:
This beam was described like a real winner and a very good and
effective solution for those who need a 5-bands beam with reasonable
gain, F/B and
good SWR. Here are the opinions:
* 72 declared their satisfaction on general radiation performance and
results while only four are not so happy with the front to back ratio.
* 55 were very satisfied by the good SWR over the 5 bands and only four
reported SWR problems as result of bad assembly work, improper
and insufficient tower height.
* 60 declared their satisfaction over the ruggedness and mechanical
* 19 favorably compare the TH-11DX electrical, radiation and mechanical
performance to previous owned antennas from other manufacturers with
similar or better figures claimed in the technical specifications.
* 12 were delighted to see the new powerful balun and hi-power antenna
capability. 5 of them beleive that the general lower noise and statics
is due to
direct grounding of the balun and to the DC coil connected to the
* 68 were satisfied with the antenna but experienced difficulties in the
assembly process ( with understanding that such large and complicated
antenna needs extensive assembly and installation works ).
It was interesting to see that almost all the criticism was
the assembly concept and instruction manual.
* 56 would clearly prefer colour, numbering or any other markings for
and faster identification of the large number of components.
* 48 were quite exhausted trying to ensure that the elements are
the boom perfectly parallel and they are feeling that some kind of
of the element to boom brackets and of the boom, will greatly reduce
time and the efforts to messure the inter element spacing and
alignement and paralleling procedure. 20 of them do not understand how
antenna of this class doesn't have such facility.
* 36 would prefer an improved graphic presentation and assembly manual
23 clearly stated that simplified drawings of the components,
check-list and assembly steps check-list, will greatly improve the
enginering. 14 would prefere some simple drawings on installation tips
issues. Also, 10 people are feeling that recommendations for use of
materials should be more specific ( like the RTV and protective paints
8 expressed their prefference for an optional kit for coastal
improved hardware quality.
* 9 peoples feel they want stronger and heavier pigtail wires.
* 5 are willing to see the antenna radiation lobes for the installation
recommendations from the manual.
FAQ on WWW: http://www.contesting.com/towertalkfaq.html
Administrative requests: towertalk-REQUEST@contesting.com
Sponsored by Akorn Access, Inc & N4VJ / K4AAA