correction - towers & insurance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: correction - towers & insurance
From: ND8L@aol.com (ND8L@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 07:26:15 -0500 (EST)

<< Last week I posted a message stating that, after checking
 with my Allstate agent, it had been determined that my
 tower was not covered under my new homeowners policy.

 I received a lot of e-mail expressing a contrary opinion,
 and this morning contacted the agent again. She checked
 with the company, and determined that the tower and
 antennas _are_ covered under the Personal Property section.

 She had misinterpreted the exclusion entitled "Satellite
 Dishes and Antennas." Satellite dishes are _not_ covered,
 but she found from talking with the company that this
 exclusion does not pertain to any antennas other than
 satellite antennas.

 In my reading of the policy, I had spotted an exclusion
 against "collapse" of anything but a structure with walls
 and a roof, so I had pretty much convinced myself that the
 tower was not covered. In talking with the agent, she showed
 me that the "collapse" exclusion did not pertain to personal
 property coverage.

-----------------------------
Hi Dave...

Careful here...SOME antennas would be considered personal property.  For
example, if you had a 40 meter dipole in the backyard...that could be easily
moved and as such would be considered personal property.  But let us say
you've got 200 feet of rotating Rohn 65G in a 12 foot square concrete base
with six stacked Telrex five
element mono-banders...that ain't personal property...that's pretty
permanent.  An insurance adjuster would consider that part of dwelling
extensions.  If there's a collapse exclusion on dwellings in your
state...make real sure it ALSO doesn't apply to dwelling extension...you
could have a problem if the tower "just fell down."  If high winds caused the
collapse, then wind would be the what we in the INsurance bidness call
proximate cause, and that would probably be covered.

Here again, we're dealing with a contract...does the exclusion on Satellite
Dishes and Antennas mean Satellite Dishes and Satellite Antennas...or
Satellite Dishes and Antennas (read all types of antennas).  I think I'd ask
for a brief letter from your agent that clarifies all this.  You've just got
too much to lose to rely on someone's memory.

Wow...ain't this fun!!!

73, Ray