Motor on crankup + cold = ??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Motor on crankup + cold = ??
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 12:15:56 -0500

>I have to lower my tower (71'ft tristao), but the motor
>appears to have frozen up.  I took out the fuse on the
>control box and it was blown.  Is it simply cold causing
>this and I should try some form of heating the crankcase
>(with lights/hairdryer other???)?

      A hairdryer with a GFI should work.  Be sure to warm the gearbox as
well.  Maybe that's what froze and then the motor wouldn't turn.  I have one
of those tape heaters that you can wrap around water pipes, etc. (it's about
an inch wide and about 10 feet long) that goes around my prop pitch motor.
 When it's frozen, I plug in the tape heater and within minutes, it'll start
up.

73,  Steve  K7LXC