Too much RF in house from new antenna!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Too much RF in house from new antenna!
From: wrt@eskimo.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 03:13:23 GMT
On Tue, 21 Jan 1997 21:45:06 +0000, k2kv@netusa.net (Jeff Singer) wrote:

>Hi all -=20
>For the first time in many years, I am having a tremendous RF problem,
>the result of my new installation.
>
>This past weekend I installed a new 80m full-wave delta loop near the
>house. It works well - in fact, I am getting roughly 15-20db gain over
>my GAP Voyager which is abt 200 feet from the house! It was worth the
>effort to spend most of the day outside, although the temps never got
>over 15 F.
>
>Unfortunately, there is SO MUCH RF in and around the shack that I can't
>actually use the thing without first disconnecting everything. Mostly
>phone lines, 12v lamps, etc. I think I can actually SMELL the ozone when
>I operate CW! Not so great. Perhaps someone out there can help me figure
>this out.=20
<snip>
This may or may not help, but it's worth investigating.  I have also had =
very
annoying RF-in-the-shack problems on different bands with different =
antennas,
and here at least, they all had the same cause and the same solution.  =
The
cause was RF on the outside of the coax, caused either by an unbalance in=
 the
antenna or pickup of RF by the coax acting as an antenna.  Either way, =
the
cure was to put a balun in the coax before it entered the shack.  On one
antenna I used a so-callled "current" balun and on another I just coiled =
up
about 20 feet of excess coax into a 1-foot diameter coil.  In both cases =
the
RF was completely gone.  (I'm running 1500 watts).

I know you said you had a 4:1 balun in the line, but it is probably a
transformer-type and may not be the best for eliminating RF on the =
outside of
the coax.  I'd just try the coil of coax and see if there is any =
reduction of
RF in the shack.  If there is, then you have a direction to head in.  =
Good
luck.

73, Bill W7TI
wrt@eskimo.com