Antenna Support Insulators

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Antenna Support Insulators
From: aa6eg@tmx.com (Pat Barthelow)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 08:09:27 -0800 (PST)
      I am constructing some large wire yagi antennas on a former
ARMY MARS site that was deeded to the local city Recreation
Department.  I am using existing wooden poles, 70 ft. tall, and want
to minimize visual impacts, as the property is considered to be
permanent greenbelt land, and has horseback riding trails nearby.
Some initial test wires are up, and I am pleased at their minimal
impact...a 10 guage copperweld wire is almost invisible at 70 feet.
However, the initial choice of insulators  have large visual impact.
(I have large ceramic bar type, VOA style insulators, brown in color,
10" long.)  I am wondering if clear, 1/8" by 2" by 10" Lexan
polycarbonate strips have the strength and UV resistance to serve as
support insulators, or if someone can suggest a suitable material that
is visually low-impact, and suitable.  My guess is that the insulator
must withstand up to 500 lb pull in some placements.  There are
spans sometimes of 350 feet.  If the material can handle the strain
and UV, I am looking for suggestions for wire attachments that
maintain the inherent strength of the material..  Any ideas
appreciated....
73, de Pat, AA6EG  aa6eg@tmx.com

Marina Amateur Radio Association,
Home of the N6IJ Contest Station