Rotor question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Rotor question
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 17:59:34 -0500 (EST)

> I am looking at the Hy-Gain CD-45-II Medium duty
>>rotor on page 134, or the Yeasu Model G-450XL on page 86.  The thing that
>>puzzles me is that there is a hundred dollar difference between the two,
and
>>the Yeasu is rated at a higher wind load.  For the same money as the
Hy-Gain
>>CD-45-II, I can buy the Yeasu Model G-800X.  My antennas have about 6 sq.
>>ft. total wind load, but we do get some severe winds in Tennessee.  I want
>>this to be my last rotor purchase for a long time.  Does anybody out there
>>have any experience with the model rotors I am looking at?  Are there other
>>brands I should consider?  I am interested in knowing your opinions (both
>>positive and negative) on which brand I should consider.  My rotor sits
>>inside my tower and I use a 'pillow block' or 'thrust bearing', so there is
>>no vertical load on the rotor.  I need to know about availability of parts
>>and service for these brands and any experience you may have had in that
>>arena.  Is there a difference in the controller boxes, or are they all
about
>>the same?

Hi, Scott --

     The short answer is that I just finished a 3-part series on rotators in
my Up The Tower column in CQ Contest magazine.  An SASE to TOWER TECH, Box
572, Woodinville, WA, 98072, will get you a free reprint.

    The slightly longer answer is that you can make part of your decision by
looking at the specs of the rotators.  They are

Type                      Rotating torque in/lbs         Braking torque
in/lbs
Hy-Gain CD45                 600                                       800
Yaesu G-800                   950                                      3450
Create RC5-1                   500                                      6000
Yaesu G-450XL                478                                      2600

    The other parts of the decision IMO are reliability, parts and service
availability and features.  I mentioned the Create because it has good
reliability and some interesting features.    You also get what you pay for.

73,  Steve  K7LXC