Ground Losses (urgent)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Ground Losses (urgent)
From: csilver@riosoft.softex.br (Carlos Augusto S. Pereira)
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 22:31:56 -0200
Dear friends,

One month ago I sent a message to the contest reflector about
elevated radials and received many replies that an 80 meter
vertical would work very fine with elevated radials and more,
with an elevated system (4 meters over the ground) a few radials
would work as many in a ground mounted set up. Someone said that
4 radials would perform like 96 ground mounted???

However someone just dropped me a note relating that this
difference is not high,  less than 1db considering the same
number of radials.  He used a field strengh and found out that
for 60 radials the ground mounted vertical would perform even
better.

I am very confused because I have an HF2V which is not working
properly on 80 meters (I am quite sure that the problem is ground loss), I have
only 3 radials for 80 meters (ground mounted).

If I change from the current set up to the same number of radials
in an elevated system what is gonna be the real drop of the
ground losses? Worthy trying?

I also have the possibility to increase the number of radials to
40! Could I say better than 3 radials in an elevated set up?

Elevate or not? That's the point!

I worry because I'll only have this weekend to improve my 80m
vertical (to work on it). The ARRL CW contest will happen in
two weeks and next weekend I will be out of town (holidays).

HELP ME GUYS!

73 and thanks in advance,

Carlos - PY1CAS

ps. See you all in two weeks. Hope with a good TX!
ps2. If possible send a carbon copy to "silver@ax.apc.org"