Tower loading pt.2

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Tower loading pt.2
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 06:01:54 -0500 (EST)
>And Steve, what practical advice of tower talkians are you
>referring to, with the exception of seeking a PE?  Are you refering to
>the guys who say, "I have a Rohn 25 packed to the hilt and it's been up
>7 years, no problem."

    Of course not.  Practical input is also valuable but I'm sure you've
noticed that we spend a fair amount of time trying to keep people out of
trouble with their installations.

>Is this the blind leading the blind?  All I'm
>asking is if there is anyone here who can do the calculations.

    While you may be a clever engineering-type guy, you are not a trained or
licensed PE.  You'll never go wrong by using them.  Look at it as a small
amount paid for some education. Even Steve's last post had to do with using
one.

>And the approach of putting up Rohn 55 just to play it safe because we
>can't do the calculations and figure out that Rohn 25 will work fine is
>silly.  Yes, it's safe, but potentially overkill.

        The point is that the figures are in the Rohn catalog and all you
have to do is look them up.  IMO you're spending a lot of time and
frustration trying to make something so simple much more complicated.  For
your wind speed zone and tower load, you just install what will give you the
best cost/benefit ratio.  You're the one that has to sleep nights next to the
installation.   Erring on the side of safety is never overkill.

>Okay, does that doccument show the calculations??

    It's THE standards for the tower building and construction industry.
 It's got dozens of calculations relating to tower structures.  It's about
$95.00 and I'll give you the 800 number if you're interested.  This is THE
document that Rohn uses and PE's use.

     As a professional tower installer, this whole thing is a non-issue to
me.  Even a PE is going to use the Rohn specifications when designing a tower
system.

73,  Steve  K7LXC