Wind Load of Coax Against Tower Leg

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Wind Load of Coax Against Tower Leg
From: Joe Subich" <W8IK@ibm.net (Joe Subich)
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 97 20:12:40 -0500
In <970208174815_75427233@emout14.mail.aol.com>, on 02/08/97
   at 05:48 PM, K7LXC@aol.com said:

>     Your assumption is basically correct.  The Rohn tower loading figure in
>the book is the NET result after deducting 1) the square footage of the
>cables and 2) 8 sq.ft. of antenna mount at the top of the tower.  So
>your hypothetical 100 foot 45G has a wind load capacity of:  the
>assumed 20 sq.ft. + 8 sq.ft. (the mount) + 23.1 for cables = 51.1
>square feet.  If you take THAT figure and start deducting your
>antennas, mast and cables, then I think you're pretty close to actual
>figures.

I would consider one modification to that analysis ... reduce the amount of
"extra" antenna load you can add by deleting some of the extra feedlines.
The feedline load is distributed along the entire length of the tower and
not a point load at the top.  One might consider the feedline load at the
middle of the tower ...

73,

   ... Joe Subich, W8IK  ex-AD8I
       <W8IK@ibm.net>