NEC & Tower Permits

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: NEC & Tower Permits
From: broz@csn.net (John Brosnahan)
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 10:48:28 -0700
At 10:13 AM 2/10/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I know it's a good idea, but did anyone ever have a tower permit denied
>because it was within falling distance of electrical lines >250V?
>
>The local building inspector cites NEC 810-13, something that the tower
>cannot be within falling distance + 2' of power lines.
>
>County zoning thinks it's okay if 2/3rds of your tower falls on the
>neighbor's property, but the township doesn't want it near any power
>lines.
>
>Again, yes, it's a good idea, but is it really "code"?  (I don't have
>the NEC handy to determine if what his says is valid or correct.)

Chad,

Don't know what the spec is for >250 volts but for <250 volts it is
the 2 ft mentioned in NEC  810-13.  Would have to assume that it
is even greater for the higher voltages--so maybe you are getting
off easy if your lines are >250 volts.

"Where proximity to open electric light or power service conductors
of less than 250 volts between conductors cannot be avoided,
the installation shall be such as to provide a clearance of at least
2 feet (610mm)."

gl es 73  John  W0UN