"Mike Faucheaux" <>: This is the phone co. at

To: <>
Subject: "Mike Faucheaux" <>: This is the phone co. at
From: (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 97 09:47:44 -0500
>Subject:     "Mike Faucheaux" <>: This is the phone co. at work
>From:        NICHOLAS A GANS,
>      I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but we, online
>users,  are
>about to get ripped off again!  Yes, the telephone companies are
>trying to get
>an additional charge added to your per min. internet use.

I hate to spoil your fun, but you don't seem to be well informed. There
is no such action taking place.

>I am forwarding this in hope that with enough response we can
>stop the
>FCC from approving a proposal from the telephone companies.

Yes, which docket would that be? Hmm?

>respond to the address indicated below so we might fight phone
>companies from
>imposing additional charges to what we already pay for online

Phone companies can't make additional charges unless permitted by
regulation. Those regulations start with the FCC. There is no such NPRM.

>Seems Ma Bell is unhappy that business is conducted over their
>wires and she
>wants a share. "I am writing you this to inform you of a very
>important matter
>currently under review by the FCC. Most telephone companies have
>filed a
>proposal with the FCC to impose per minute charges for your
>internet service. They
>contend that your usage has or will hinder the operation of the
>network.  It  is my belief that internet usage will diminish if
>users were required
>to pay additional per minute charges.

And the docket number of this action?

>     The FCC has created an email box for your comments,
>received by February 13, 1997.
>Send your comments to and tell them what you think.
> Please forward this email to all your friends on the internet so
>all our
>voices may be heard.   Power to the people!

This mailbox is for a Notice of Inquiry Docket #96-263. There is
currently no regulatory action. The FCC is just soliciting comments on
what sort of regulatory reform should be considered.

Better yet, head to <> and become familiar
with the proceedings before writing a message. You'll also need to follow
the form for FCC comments. Random mail messages are likely to be ignored,
especially if they fail to reference the appropriate dockets.

>You must send your message by February 13,1997. Please pass this
>information fo everyone you know.

Comment period has been extended to February 21, 1997. Frankly, unless
you are an ISP, there's probably no point in commenting until a Notice of
Proposed Rulemaking appears.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR           Mail:
Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901