Crankup safety

To: <>
Subject: Crankup safety
From: (Alfred J. Frugoli)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 18:45:06 +0000
Terry Dunlap wrote:
> Those certainly sound like good rules to me but I'm still in the dark about
> safe alternatives.  Do you crank the tower all the way down and use an
> extension ladder to reach the mast/rotor/antennas?  Do you still block the
> tower when using a ladder and if so how do you safely block it before using
> a ladder???

I use an extention ladder while the tower is "fully retracted".  I lower
tower as far as the limit switch will allow, then I place the ladder on
lowest section, and never on any of the higher ones for fear it may put
wierd strain on the cable etc and casue the tower to shift.  I do not
the tower when I'm doing this kind of work. (probably should though)
Then I
climb the ladder to work on boom/mast connection, switch box, feed line
checks, etc.  If I have to do anything that requires touching the tower
sections themselves or reachign inside the sections (i.e. rotor work,
tightening u-bolts on boom for inverted V's or the switchbox) I tilt the
over and then I put a large 12x12 beam that is about 5 feet tall under
tower to take th strain off the raising fixture.  Then I extend the
out enough to work on the rotor and block the sections so they won't

That's my method, anybody else have any hints, suggestions, criticisms?

Al, KE1FO, ex. KE6BER or
Check out my web page, for summaries
from the contest reflector and a growing list of amateur radio links.