CTSVR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: CTSVR
From: edvanc@skypoint.com (Ed Van Cleave)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 11:08:14 +0000
Used the CTSVR last Winter and had very good results with it.  Worked
my first DX on 160 meters using 200 watts.  Contacts were into the
Caribbean and South America from Minnesota during the 160 meter
contests.  Have a much bigger radial system than maker recommends,
32 radials 25-55 ft in length.

Outstanding performance on 80/75 and 40 meters for a short antenna.
When I say "outstanding" my comparison is my trusty, long-used
 Butternut HF2-V, top loaded.  I have a small back
yard (75X75) with high tension lines running across the back,
numerous trees, no room for a HyTower.  The HyTower would also
require a building permit.  The CTSVR is "portable" in that it
doesn't require a concrete base.

Allow two days for assembly and tuning, lots and lots of small parts.
 The CTSVR withstood the Winter Ice Storm of 1996.  It had over 1
inch of radial ice on it for over a week in 50 mph winds.  Have some
great pictures.  The was droopy but resumed its normal position after
the thaw.  I also purchased the Phillystrand guy kit.  Well worth the
additional price especially when faced with the ice loads the antenna
experienced.

Hope this information is useful.  Will make FS measurements next
season.

73 de Ed, W0VC