Crankup Safety

To: <>
Subject: Crankup Safety
From: (Leikhim, Joe)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 23:34:47 -0500 wrote:
> Some folks climb crankups .. I'm on the side of those who lay an
>extension ladder against the nested tower and clamp on once I'm at the
>top of the ladder.  I'm not quite up to climbing a mast (Tnx K9US and
>N4SI/N9AKE for their help in the past!)  I have a US Tower HDX-589 MDPL
>89' crankup and when the five sections are nested I don't see how
>anyone could possibly get a safe foothold on all the nested
>crossbraces...There's barely room to get a hand between the
>bracing..much less a solid spot for a foothold.
> Wayne - W9II

Hi Wayne; I have a used TX489MDPL that I have just finished recabling
with new cables and pulleys from US Tower. They told me to nest the
tower with about 1 foot per section raised and with a minimum of three
turns of the pull up cable wound on the drum. The old cable was about
four feet longer than the new, and was wound at 5 turns when I removed
it. Following their instructions I could only get three turns on the
drum and the tower would not nest any lower. Of course I have not yet
erected the tower (its on the ground) but I ran it in and out a few feet
and that is where it wants to be. What gives? US tower says they test
these with a 500 lb test load before shipping. How much does a 100 foot
1/4 EHS cable stretch??
Joe Leikhim

"tv dinner by the pool,
i'm so glad i finished school" -F.Zappa 1967