Guy wire help

To: <>
Subject: Guy wire help
From: (
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 19:34:29 -0500 (EST)

>  Here is the question: Can I / should I use 1/4 guys for the tower to
>     help with the 100 mph windload or use the 3/16 that came with the
>     tower?  I have to order some new guy cable because the tower will
>     taller.

     The tower and antenna Prime Directive is "do what the manufacturer
says".  Use the cable that the manufacturer specifies; anything bigger is a
waste of money.

    The weak point in a 25G tower is the leg strength followed by the shear
strength of the leg bolts, not the guy wires.

    BTW, the Prime Directive converse is also true: " don't do what they
don't tell you to do"; i.e. painting guy wires, taping turnbuckles, etc.

73,  Steve  K7LXC