side-by-side out of phase

To: <>
Subject: side-by-side out of phase
From: (L. B. Cebik)
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 20:52:08 -0500 (EST)
Read a note on a square of beams, of which those on one side were upside
down and hence out of phase--hence, no joy on the target.

Think I found out why:  I set two beams side by side at various distances
up 1 wl and fed them out of phase.  Pattern was split, with two mirror
main lobes of very good size, but oriented +/-18 to 28 degrees (depending
on spacing) either side of center line.  Beam centerline was a deep null
(>-30 dB).

In phase, the pair ran 16+ dBi with a beamwidth about half that of a pair
of vertically stacked beams (i.e.,<30 degrees).

No wonder flipping the errant pair made all the difference in the world.