[TowerTalk] Rotor load

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotor load
From: (
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 19:08:06 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-02-20 18:20:24 EST,

>I 've ordered a Force12 C-4SXL beam,
>according to the specs it has 8.4 sq. ft of wind load.
>The rotor I have is a -still on the box- Yaesu 450XL (10.7 sq. ft).
>I will add only my 2M Cushcraft 5/8" vertical.
>The area where I live the wind gusts rarely exceed 50 MPH.
>Questions are:
>-What I should expect in terms of Rotor life?
>- Should I forget about it (450XL) and upgrade to the next model ?
    The Effective Moment (or Yaesu K-Factor) is the best measurement of
rotator capacity.  It is the weight of the antenna times the turning radius.
 The Effective Moment  of the C4SXL is 1080 ft./lbs.  The capacity of the
450XL is 722 ft/lbs; not the most suitable rotator for you.

    The Yaesu G-800 is 1299 ft/lbs, the Ham IV is 2800 ft/lbs.  The Create
RC5A-2 would be worth looking at but I don't have an Effective Moment figure
for it; it would be more like the Ham IV spec.

    IMO if you can get more than 5-6 years service life out of any rotator
(except the prop pitch), you're doing pretty well.

73,  Steve  K7LXC