[TowerTalk] Noise Problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Noise Problem
From: w9re@worldnet.att.net (Michael Wetzel)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 05:42:22 +0000
Towertalkers,

I am looking for suggestions on a noise problem.  I've have been plagued
with noise this contest season.   First it was an electric dog fence (that
problem solved), and I've had various power line problems that the power
company has found and corrected.  Now my problem is noise on 80 and 160.
The noise does not seem to be coming from the power lines.  It has peaks at
2.375, 3.47, 3.9, and 5.1 mhz and nulls at 2.75, 3.0, and 4.25 mhz.  From my
qth, I don't hear it above 7.0 mhz.  It seems to be coming from a hospital
which is located about 3 miles away from me.  At the peaks it is 30 db over
9.  Walking with a portable radio on my property the noise is up and down as
you walk.  The noise is very constant and is on 24 hours a day, every day!
A ham closer to the hospital(one mile away) doesn't really hear it on 80 (he
has bad power line noise on 20 and 15).  Driving around the hospital, again
with a sw receiver the noise is loud on one side and on another is not
heard.  A noise blanker will generally take the noise out but in a contest,
the noise blanker is generally unusable (intermod, etc.).

I have not contacted the hospital maintenance department yet, the power
company guy said he would do that, as they are still working on the problem.

Anyone with suggestions?

73 and good luck this weekend

Mike W9RE