[TowerTalk] Rain Static - Anything to Do?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rain Static - Anything to Do?
From: (
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 18:47:10 -0500 (EST)
just a general recommendation:
I have seen with all my wire antennas, mainly for 80m, a much lesser rain
(and snow static) when I used insulated wire (I guess regular electric wire,
multi strand, copper, and insulated), AWG 12, instead of bare, multi strand
wire, which is exposed to a "direct hit" of the charged up rain drop or snow

I have also noticed, during the famous New England snow storms, that there is
a static field building up from time to time, not generated by direct hits,
which starts like "tack, tack, tack" in very slow intervals, increases in
speed of repetition, than a larger "tack" and static silence for maybe a few
minutes, and again the static building.

I hope this helps a bit.
Rolf,  KE1Y