[TowerTalk] Q of Traps

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Q of Traps
From: (David & Barbara Leeson)
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 97 10:06 EST
Here's a question I'm curious about (but don't have time to think about
or make measurements just now):

Is the Q of a distributed coil, such as in the KLM traps, higher or
lower than the Q of a shielded solenoid?  At first glance, you would
think the coil would have higher Q because it takes less wire, and hence
less resistance, to get the same inductance.  However, there are
complications such as the "bunching" of current on the conductors of a
coil due to the adjacent winding, and the coupling of the linear trap
to the element itself.

This would be a bit difficult from the theoretical standpoint to get
all the higher order effects right, but remember that experiment always
trumps theory.  Maybe I'll give this one to my spring-quarter graduate

Dave, W6NL (ex-QHS)