[TowerTalk] NY Times Antenna Article

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] NY Times Antenna Article
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 22:01:54 EST
From:
Fred Hopengarten, K1VR
Six Willarch Road; Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
617/259-0088; e-mail:  k1vr@k1vr.jjm.com or k1vr@juno.com

On Tue,  4 Mar 1997 18:44:55, -0500 FSWF37A@prodigy.com ( JAMES T
BRANNIGAN) writes:
>The New York Sunday Times Magazine (March 2, 1997) has a great
>antenna article.
>
>In short:
>
>The Fordham University FM radio station, WFUV, was instructed to
>elevate their antenna to protect the locals from the harmful effects
>of RF radiation.
>After a prolonged site search they chose a corner of the campus for
>their 480 foot tower.
>All necessary approvals were secured and construction proceeded.
>As the tower approached the 200 foot mark, it was noticed by the
>ladies of the adjacent
>New York Botanical Garden.

K1VR remarks:  It is because of such "construction interruptus"
situations that I always recommend to clients that (1) they should be
prepared to begin construction the day the permit is issued, and
(2) nothing should interrupt construction once begun.  None of this
"we'll do the first 80 feet this weekend, and the next 40 feet next
weekend" planning.

I am presently counsel in a case where the ham would have his antenna
today if he'd built right away, but he waited half a year until the bad
weather was over before beginning.