[TowerTalk] Tower cement base

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower cement base
From: (
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 02:36:43 -0500 (EST)

>  At the bottom 12-15" of the
>  hole I dug-in such that the bottom dimensions approximate 52" square,
>  (actually a somewhat rounded square). In other words, the area in the
>  bottom half of the hole is greater than the area in the top half.
>  I was thinking the way a dentist drills prior to filling a cavity-he
>  enlarges the hole inside the tooth such that the filling will better stay
>  in place.  Is (was) my thinking corrupt, or does this make sense???  Is
>  only "disadvantage" that it requires more cement?

    Actually that's a good idea and is used by most engineers and
construction companies.  Bell'ing out the bottom of a hole is a good
technique and even Rohn uses tower footings with pedestals at the bottom for
additional stability and strength.

      See, you just THOUGHT you were crazy - hi.

73,  Steve  K7LXC