[TowerTalk] Painting a used EZ Way crankup tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Painting a used EZ Way crankup tower
From: twoway@scoden.ma.ultranet.com (Scott Bullock)
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 05:33:55 -0500 (EST)
Hello fellow towertalkies,

Here's a good question for everybody, I just bought an old EZ Way RBX-50
crankup/foldover tower that has been sitting for some time, It's got surface
rust on it but otherwise in excellent condition. I plan to have the entire
tower professionally sandblasted before I put it up. What's the best way to
refinish it?

I had two thoughts-
1. Sandblast and prime with Rustoleum rusty metal primer and then paint with
Rustoleum silver paint.
or:
2. Sandblast and paint tower with cold galvanizing compound (obviously at a
much higher cost).

Which finish would last the longest in our wonderful New England Climate?
Which finish would withstand the rubbing of the crankup sections better ?

Also if anybody has any engineering docs for this tower in a 90 mph wind
zone, I would be interested in getting a copy for my permit application
(have copies of some of the original EZ Way literature, but only goes to 70 mph)

Thanks in advance to all,
Scott
KA1CLX