[TowerTalk] RE: AB-105 safety question

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: AB-105 safety question
From: (
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 11:39:33 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-03-10 10:17:00 EST, (Rus Healy)

> I think the only safe way to replace guy wires is to attach a temporary guy

> near the old one, say, within 10 feet, tension it, then drop the old one
> pull up the new one. I'd attach the temporary guy above the existing one to

> make tangling less of a problem during replacement.

     Good advice!

     I'd take one of my haul ropes and use it as a temporary guy. Use a
bowline on the tower and a trucker's hitch at the bottom to give you a 2 to 1
mechanical advantage and cinch that sucker up (you DO know both of those
knots, don't you?!).  It'll give you enough tension to remove and replace the
permanent ones one at a time.  Much easier to deal with than steel cables as

73,  Steve   K7LXC