[TowerTalk] Fwd: [CQ-Contest] Anyone ever set up near a Cell Phone Tower

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: [CQ-Contest] Anyone ever set up near a Cell Phone Tower?
From: (
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 14:20:52 -0500 (EST)
Forwarded message:
From: (Wayne Mills)
To: (K7LXC)
To: <>
Date: 97-03-13 13:23:50 EST

Whoa!  Not so fast!  Paging and cellular systems aren't the same!  As I
pointed out to Larry in an off-line response (I generally don't do
reflectors...), we have two cell systems on one site, and the *digital*
noise emanating from these things raises the noise floor about 30db in the
vicinity of 35 mHz.  The 800 mHz RF is not a problem on OUR site.  The
extraneous garbage radiating from the equipment is.

Northern Telecomm cellular stuff, for example, is built in open rack
configuration like telephone equipment, with little shielding.  I don't know
much about the Motorola cell equipment.  Our Motorola and Glenayre paging
stuff is built much better; everything is shielded.  Our paging data comes
via phone line, the cellular stuff comes via microwave.  The Alcatel
microwave unit (2 gHz) is a real noisey piece of gear.  Beware!  It is a
real problem here.  What's more I suspect the cellular company won't take
kindly to agreeing to take their equipment off line because of an
interference problem.  Most cellular equipment isn't located on multi-user
sites, and they are not used to cooperating with other users.