[TowerTalk] Bolt trivia

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bolt trivia
From: ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca (Don Moman)
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 15:45:25 -0700 (MST)
The way I see it, on the towers I have, there are several good reasons for
installing bolts with the nuts on the outside of the tower.  Strength
wise, I don't see any advantage either way, unless they use a tapered
shoulder bolt like some of the self supporting Delhi towers that are very
common in Canada. Even then, I'm not sure the shoulder wouldn't work
installed either way....

I put the nuts on the outside because:

Most of my towers are the 60 degree inside angle legs so there isn't much
room to work in there.

Much easier to spot if any are getting loose, or worse yet, vibrated off.

Much easier to tighten so they don't vibrate off.

Handy to thread a 3/8 or 1/2 inch pie (or is it pye?) nut on the exposed
thread which makes a quick and strong anchor for various wires and antenna
support ropes (but not to guy the tower with!)

73 Don

VE6JY is Don Moman               email: ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Box 127 Lamont, Alberta
T0B 2R0  (403) 895-2925