[TowerTalk] Vertical vs. Low Beam?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical vs. Low Beam?
From: (Lee Buller)
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 14:21:13 -0600
        At 10:07 AM 3/21/97 -0800, you wrote:
>I've been using a roof mounted HF6V vertical (at about 16') for the
>past 5 years with reasonable results.  I'm currently looking into putting
>up a tower, but in the meantime I'm curious if a roof mounted beam
>(say a Force C3/C4 or Cushcraft A4) at around 20' - 25' would do any
>better than the vertical.
>I know the rule of thumb with beams is "higher is better", but what is
>the minimum height at which I can expect reasonable results?  or at
>least better results than the vertical?
>Comments appreciated,
>  73 de Doug, N6RT
>  Doug Brandon
>FAQ on WWW:
>Administrative requests:
>Sponsored by:             Akorn Access, Inc. & N4VJ / K4AAA

Go for the beam!!  You won't regret it.  When I got my first beam when I was
19 years let me mount it 10 foot off the top of the garage on a
quadpod tower.  It was an old th3 thudnerbird tribander.  Call be Mr. DX.
What a deal!  Opened the whole world of ham radio up for me.  Beats a dipole
or a verticle all to heck.  Rule:  a beam is always better that a verticle.
A verticle radiates poorly in all directions...